Monday, May 2, 2011

A Painful Divorce

    One of the most difficult things I have to deal with during this process is saying good-bye to fast food.  My love for her has been going strong since childhood.  She's like a beautiful, co-dependent lover always there for me in my times of need.  "Come to me Jason," she whispers seductively, "lay back and I'll help you forget about all your worries."  Oh friends, she is such a dirty girl!  How can I possibly live without her?

    When I look back at life, I regret not learning to control the constant craving to eat at McDonald's.  I had the strangest daydream when I was in junior high.  Of course I always thought about girls, sports, and friends like any typical teenage boy, but my biggest fantasy was wishing I had three huge silos in my back yard.  And I would think about how awesome it would be that at any time I could go out back and grab double hamburgers with only ketchup, biscuits with butter, and fries.  I remember thinking how great it will be when I can drive so I can go to McDonald's in the morning to buy a bag full of their biscuits.  I hated how mom and dad only let me have two.  How inconsiderate!

                          The evil gang of supervillians fighting against your
                                              your health and well-being.
                                          (Wendy looks frickin' HOT though!)

When that freedom of choice came, I took full advantage.  There was a time when I ate fast food every day of my life.  Most of the time, I did this in secret.  It became my guilty pleasure.  At my worst, I would even go as far to say that I didn't feel content for the day until I made beautiful greasy love.  Here's an example of how I typically ate for a day.  This was roughly 2003-2007:
  •     Breakfast - two eggs scrambled, toast, double home fries, and a stack of pancakes.
  •     Supper - somewhere out to eat with mom usually, very poor choices with huge portions.
  •     Two hours later in the car by myself - McDonald's - double quarter pounder meal super sized, extra order of super size fries, two apple pies.
  •     Night - I always snacked on junk food before bed. My favorite was candy bars, lots of them.           
     I cringe when I think of the calories!

    I still eat McDonald's once a week.  A few double hamburgers and a fry is what I like to order now.  My dietitian told me that I don't have to give it up right now, but I should make better choices when I eat there.  She understands how difficult it can be to lose your first love.

Edited by Dave Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment